Questions about saving work
How do I save my work as an MP3 or WAV file?
- To export/save, choose File > Export > Export Audio... then choose the file format you want to export to in the "Save as type" dropdown. Then choose where you want your file to be saved to your computer.
Why do I need to save work as an MP3 or WAV file? Why not an Audacity file?
- An Audacity file are program files not audio files. When you save your file, you are saving the pogoress you have completed during editing on the application.
What steps can I take to make sure that I don’t lose my work?
- Save. Save. Save. Always make duplicate copies to an external flash drive. Additionally, keep all your audio recording in a single folder or your computer to keep organized.
Questions about importing audio
How can I import audio from my phone?
What if I have an Android instead of an iPhone?
How can I import audio from a recording device (other than my phone)?
- The library has audio recording devices that you can use. I will teach you to export the files from our audio recorder by setting up a personal or zoom appointment. The recorders have great sound but are more robust in their features so I would recommend a training appointment.
What if I need to convert an audio file?
- Audacity only accepts certain types of audio file formats. Recording devices including cell phones might recording in a format that is not compatible. Should that be the case navigate to the below website. You will need to upload your original file and convert it to .mp3. Then download the converted file to your computer and import into Audacity.
Where can I find royalty-free music?
Why do I need to use royalty-free music?
How do I get royalty-free music into Audacity?
- Make sure your file is wav or mp3. Then drag the file driectly into audacity or import the file from its location on your computer from the File > Import > Import Audio
What do I do if I only want a few seconds of a song or track?
- If you really want a track you will have to pay for its use in your podcast. I suggest you only you free music that does not come with strings.
About sound effects
Where can I get royalty-free sound effects?
- Create our own sound effect and record them or go https://freesound.org/. Freesound will require you to create a profile.
How do I get royalty-free sound effects into Audacity?
- Make sure your file is wav or mp3. Then drag the file directly into audacity or import the file from its location on your computer from the File > Import > Import Audio
What if my computer is a Mac?
What if my computer is a Chromebook?
What is the safest way to download Audacity?
Feel free to add any questions you think should be there based on the work you’ve done with past students.