Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
What is Chemical Nature?
A drug's chemical nature can be described in writing or in a drawing that shows its chemical structure or formula. You should include the chemical classification (amine, steroid, gas, peptide, etc.) and list other characteristics of the chemical.
Drugs can be classified based on structure, use, and action. Try to locate all three (3) classifications.
The US Drug Enforcement Agency sets US drug schedules. Read this DEA information for a general explanation of the drug schedule.
Zolpidem Tartrate 2D Structure. In: National Center for Biotechnology Information. PubChem Open Chemistry Database, CID=57487. https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/57487. Accessed June 4, 2018.
- name of the drug AND "chemical composition"
- name of the drug AND "chemical formula"
- name of drug AND "chemical structure"
- name of the drug AND chem*
- Search 1: acetaminophen AND "chemical composition"
- Search 2: acetaminophen AND "chemical formula"
- Search 3: acetaminophen AND "chemical structure"
- Search 4: acetaminophen AND chem*
PubChem: Open Chemistry Database
Use the Compound Search function find chemical information about biological properties. From the National Center for Biotechnology Information, which is part of the National Library of Medicine.
Detailed drug (i.e. chemical, pharmacological and pharmaceutical) data and comprehensive drug target (i.e. sequence, structure, and pathway) information provided by University of Alberta and The Metabolomics Innovation Centre.
This dictionary of over 400,000 chemicals (names, synonyms, and structures) includes links to National Library of Medicine and other databases and resources,
Library Search Tools (Research Databases)
If unable to find the chemical nature in any other sources, use Google, but limit to government information to ensure accuracy and credibility. Select "Images".
Limit by including this phrase: site:.gov [site colon dot gov]
- name of the drug AND "chemical formula" site:.gov
- name of drug AND "chemical structure" site:.gov
- Search 1: acetaminophen AND "chemical composition" site:.gov
- Search 2: acetaminophen AND "chemical formula" site:.gov