Skip to main content
Classes have moved online. Digitally available Library resources
Email us at email@example.com
Check your NWACC email for new dates to return Library equipment
. Library books, DVDs, and VHS can be returned using these instructions
Latest from BBC News
Looking for a current event? Here are some top stories from around the world.
Controversial Topics Display
The Library's Controversial Topics Display includes hundreds of books on a wide variety of subjects. Many students browse this collection to find topic ideas. Each book covers controversial subjects and discusses various viewpoints.
Choosing a Topic
You've been assigned a paper in which you need to discuss a controversial topic. How will you select a subject to write about? Here are some helpful hints:
- Write about something you find interesting. If you find a topic interesting, the research and writing process will be more enjoyable for you. This will come through in your paper and it'll be more enjoyable for your reader as well.
- Don't pick a topic that's too broad...or too narrow. Your instrucor will probably set limitations for the length of your paper. If you pick a topic that's too general, you won't be able to adequately cover it in a few pages. If you select a topic that's too narrow, you may have trouble finding sources. This will prove frustrating for you and will make the assignment harder than it needs to be.
- Make sure you understand the assignment. Your instructor may allow you to select any topic you like, or she might require you to select a specific topic within a more general concept. You may also be required to select a topic that affects the local area. Read your assignment sheet thoroughly before you begin your research.
- Need more Help? Try this Idea Generator from Old Dominion University.
- Ask Us! If you're having trouble, please contact an NWACC Reference Librarian here. We can help you get started.